Saturday 9 August 2014

Amended CNR Report for Innovations Challenge


CLOYNA NATURE REPORT for Innovations Challenge

I have edited out details such as receipts from the report and included only relevant sections – this report is currently sitting in archives in Canberra – I am keen to get it back though as I sent them some time-consuming and painstaking research I’d done on endemic plants that may have horticultural value and could be tested – I’d compiled a list of 300 from my Native Plants books – unfortunately my original list has been lost, hence I’d like this one back, or at least a copy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

CLOYNA NATURE RESERVE ENVIROFUND REPORT


INTRODUCTION

My part in the story of the Cloyna Nature Reserve began in 1993 when I had become so ill, I realised the only way to heal myself was to move onto land and immerse myself in Nature.  I began searching for my own slice of heaven in the Great Australian Bush, and found it immediately, being guided 2000 kilometers, seemingly by divine providence, to a spring-fed naturalised waterhole on a 40 acre bush block, part of a new subdivision in rural SE Queensland.

The Brisbane Real Estate Agent would confirm my absolute delight as he drove me along the meandering old bush track that leads to the subdivision, past majestic old-growth trees along a quaint, forgotten road of remnant bush.  We walked along an old fence line to the heart of the subdivision – a huge, sparkling clear waterhole, surrounded by open bushland.  There were two black swans and a big flock of native ducks gracing the scene.   I could not believe my luck, to have this magnificent site dropped in my lap! I thanked my lucky stars, and convinced the bank to loan me the money to purchase it (at $36,000 it was the most expensive 40 acre block in the subdivision, due to the waterhole) – this was no mean feat, being a sole parent pensioner.

In 1995, I moved my family onto the land – my sons were then aged 6 and 8 – and straight away I determined to enrich and enhance the existing bushland, after perusing the topographic map of the district, which showed staggeringly little native vegetation left in the shire. I began acquiring native trees from various sources – nurseries, local markets, and Bert Bamberg’s roadside tree stall in Windera. The ecology of the land had been quite seriously degraded after decades of drought and grazing.  I began a rainforest patch around the one veteran giant rainforest tree remaining, a magnificent 200 year old Crows Ash which we were camped under, but, imperceptibly, Nature was already reclaiming the land, as She does, given the opportunity (*Photo before and after) – I determined to help the process along as far as I was able, and introduce a wider variety of endemic natives to increase biodiversity.

Unfortunately, all the adjoining blocks were bought by graziers and people with opposing values to mine.  First came the barbed-wire fences, which I was forced to build on my half of three boundaries, totally against my own wishes, and then I had to watch as each parcel of land on all four sides was ruthlessly cleared and stocked with cattle. Now, bare land, buildings and dam walls are clearly visible from nearly every part of the Reserve, where once was fairly dense forest, which has broken my heart and utterly destroyed the aesthetic and biological integrity of the remnant, having its buffers removed. I have altered my strategy for planting out my last 150 advanced trees accordingly.

I’ve always said that if I ever came into any money, I would buy Lots 9 and 7, take down the deadly barbed-wire fences (that have snagged two sugar gliders who died of thirst) and restore the land back to its original, biodiverse glory. I am in the process of having my land listed under the Land for Wildlife Covenant, to protect it in perpetuity.

 

Maureen Brannan, The Cloyna Nature Reserve  21.7.05ethe process


CLOYNA NATURE RESERVE REPORT 

Project No.  38095 - Covering the year from 9th January 2003 to

9th January 2004

 

My initial objectives and aims were to enhance the existing biodiversity on my land, by purchasing 100 advanced rainforest trees, 4,000 tube stock, fertilizer & potting mix and 100 bales of hay for mulch.  I also wanted to experiment with various methods of ecological restoration that I had either devised myself or heard about.  What eventuated was a slightly revised version, whereby I purchased 230 advanced trees, grew another 100,  but didn’t use tube stock or bales of hay, for reasons I will explain in detail later. Circumstances have meant I have had to make a complete revision of how to go about achieving an integral remnant of native bush.
 

PLANT SPECIES LIST (Appendix 1)

Species count performed  (May 2003) & compiled by Caroline Haskard, Hon Secretary, Kingaroy & District SGAP (Society for Growing Australian Plants), and member of Greening Australia..


Caroline generously devoted a day to identifying the native species on the Reserve – she is an extremely busy woman, had recently had health problems, and I fully appreciated the time she gave me.  She was however only able to perform a preliminary count over two small areas on the land, and I’m sure there are many more native species represented in this tiny island of biodiversity, now surrounded by cleared land on all four sides.   I have been trying to find someone living a bit closer who could identify plants, but I still don’t know anyone in the vicinity – I will keep trying.

As I walk over my land, I’m always looking out for seeding plants to take seeds back to the camp and plant in pots (photo    ) (Fig 7) – I also like to pick good specimens of flowering ground plants to press – I had quite a catalogue at one stage, but weather and inability to properly deal with them led to them going mouldy.  I shall continue pressing again now I’m back living on the land, and more organised.  One day I hope to be able to buy a digital camera (not in the foreseeable future though) and make my own native plant identification booklet.  As soon as I am able, I will buy a copy of Caroline Haskard’s Kingaroy & district’s native plants, the booklet she published with Envirofunding.

When I first applied for Envirofunding, under the name of the Cloyna Biota Reserve, Caroline wrote a letter of support:-

To whom it may concern.
To clarify matters, SGAP is the Society for Growing Australian Plants, a community- based organisation with a membership Australia wide of over 10,000.  It is the largest horticultural society in the country and is very active in the struggle to preserve and enlarge existing remnants of our native flora.  Some of our branches have already received funding from various sources to continue this important work.  Whenever possible, we support the aims of other groups or individuals whose goals correlate to our own.

Therefore, may it be noted that the Kingaroy & District’s branch of SGAP fully supports Maureen Brannan’s proposed Biota Reserve at Lot 8 Althause Road, Cloyna near Murgon, Queensland.   We feel that a project such as this would be an invaluable tool in raising awareness – and to educate both school students and members of the wider community.  Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, it will create a sanctuary for both flora and fauna in what is otherwise a highly depleted landscape.

Your sincerely,

Caroline Haskard,Hon Secretary, SGAP Qld Region Inc.

P O Box 511  KINGAROY  Q  4610

March 31st  2000
 

WORKERS EMPLOYED ON THE RESERVE

To dig trenches for experimentation, I had intended to hire a dingo digger – I decided instead to hire manual labour to dig these trenches.  This is because I decided right from the start to try and do all the work necessary with hand tools, and not rely or be dependent on machinery – this I believe would help others wanting to restore their land inexpensively with a “Grass-roots” program.

Manual labour could also dig holes for trees, specific to my requirements, and perform other labour intensive jobs on the Reserve, mainly weeding.


CONCENTRIC RING TRENCHING EXPERIMENT

After digging a trench from the waterhole to the camp to bury my water pipe in 1998, I noticed months later, that root suckers from the giant Crows Ash had sprung up along it, up to 50 metres from the tree! (Figs 5 & 10).  I concluded that the huge rainforest tree must have sub-surface roots, spreading in all directions around it (or maybe just towards the water – that would be revealed with this experiment.)  It seemed that wherever these shallow roots were cut or damaged by digging, a sucker would spring up.  I was astounded at the distance the main tree spread its root system, and proposed that a thick pocket of rainforest could be easily and speedily produced by digging shallow trenches in concentric rings around old-growth rainforest trees (or maybe any old-growth tree, although I hadn’t noticed this happening with wattles or eucalypts – this would be part of the experiment)

I experimented with another two trenches on either side of the Crows Ash and behind it, and sure enough, suckers sprang up wherever I cut into the roots (which may be quite small as I didn’t notice them when digging)

There is another old-growth rainforest tree, a Kurrajong, at the other end of my property, and I dug an experimental trench around it in places – so far, nothing has come up though.

When Bruce Perkins (of Mudlo Nursery, Kilkivan) delivered the first 100 trees in pots 4 years earlier, he was quite excited about this system of trench regeneration and said that he’d never thought of revegetating this way and had never seen it used anywhere.  Bruce had previously successfully applied for Envirofunding for Cherbourg’s Botanical Gardens and had overseen the planting & landscaping – today it is a much lauded tourist attraction.  He helped me with my first application, advising using a very complex system of irrigation to revegetate the entire 40 acres - this failed because it was too ambitious and expensive.  Bruce had an excellent native plant nursery at Kilkivan, sourcing his seeds locally, mainly from Mudlo Mountain – unfortunately, he closed down a couple of years ago and the void it created has not been filled.  This district desperately needs a native plant nursery of that calibre. I would love to establish one, but would need quite significant funding to do so.

TREE PLANTING

I have devised a method of planting out native trees, specific to the conditions on the Reserve.  The land gently slopes down to the waterhole, which enables rain water to be trapped in mini “dams” behind the hole. (see diagram)  I find areas of natural composting humus, where forest litter has been washed by water run-off and collects by big logs etc., and collect piles of this for mulching the newly planted tree.  I also use the dug-up native grasses after knocking the dirt from the clods.  

SEED GERMINATING PIT

I experimented with a method of native seed germination, by digging a big, 2ft deep pit into the clay.  Into the pit, I first dumped a load of sand and gravel, then layers of broken down compost, sourced from natural piles on the Reserve, weed-free horse manure and more sand and crumbled topsoil until a thick layer of humus was achieved.  I planted it out with a few thousand mixed natives, and, while my pump was working, watered it regularly.   Unfortunately, I couldn’t keep the water up to it after the pump broke down, and it dried out completely.  It remained bare for many months - I’ve just noticed that a few natives have in fact emerged, and will now just leave it up to Mother Nature to bring up whatever is successful.

MANDALA GARDEN EXPERIMENT

Whilst working on the Reserve, I devised another method of native plant regeneration that I call “mandala gardens” which I’ve trialled successfully, and which can be used to restore diversity back to depleted land overgrown with grass – it requires only a mattock!  My inspiration came from the Kayapo people’s rainforest regeneration technique.* (Attached).

I initially select an area of grass that needs vegetating, stand in one place and dig up the clods of grass, which I drop on the spot.  Then I work around this central spot, knocking the soil from the clods and throwing them onto the pile, working in an ever-increasing circle.  When the pile of grass is quite high, I then dig a trench around the circumference, piling up the dirt towards the centre, forming a raised garden – this prevents the “wild garden” from getting waterlogged and the moat around them can channel the water into low-lying dams for watering in dry periods, if the subsoil is suitable.  I then work the soil & add sand or compost, or weed-free horse manure (but never cow manure as it usually contains introduced grasses & weeds) till its ready to plant.  I then plant native seeds according to their specific requirements.  Large seeds are planted deeply, many just under the heap, and tiny seeds on the surface etc.  I try to place vines around the inner heap, which composts down very quickly and provides an area for vines to scramble over.  Fallen branches can be thrown over the pile to help the scramblers. Native vines and scramblers found on my land include the scrambling caper, climbing saltbush, monkey rope & stiff jasmine.  (diagram)


SEED BALLS – an idea from New Zealand (insert)

I’d like to look into this method further and see how it can be adapted to the Reserve – unfortunately, there’s no such clay, but other clays may do the same job.  


ADVANCED TREES & CONTRIBUTION-IN-KIND

In May 1999, I had purchased 200 varied native tree tube-stock from Bruce Perkins Mudlo View Nursery (receipts attached).   I had potted them all on twice, some three or even four times, and now they were all vigorously growing in big pots and ready to plant-out.   (I only plant-out advanced trees, as from experience smaller trees very rarely prosper, and are susceptible to frosts and being overtaken by grass etc.  Some smaller trees I’ve planted have virtually stayed the same for years!  I’ve realised that what is needed for successful planting is a big root mass that is vigorously growing )  By the time I received the Envirofunding, these trees were over four years old and in big pots which they were all busting out of.  My Envirofunding was to buy advanced trees for revegetation, and obviously my trees, having been potted-on using the local soils and fully acclimatised, were perfect for the job.  Caroline Haskard viewed these trees when she came out to do the species count, and advised me that because I’d spent 4 years growing them, they were worth $30 each on the open market.  I ended up charging the least amount I could - $20 ea.   She said that my “in-kind” contribution was more than accounted for by the amount of hours that I (and my sons) had worked on the Reserve over the year.   In fact, I had worked on the Reserve nearly every day and my sons on week-ends – the only days I didn’t work was when it was raining, and it didn’t rain much in 2003!  Many days I’d spend 3 or 4 or more hours there, watering, potting, planting when possible, and continually and endlessly weeding - Caroline had identified two species of rampant exotic grass that had to be removed rather than just cut and the seeds spread. This work I averaged out to an hour and a half a day - 495 hours @ $15 = $7,525.  The remaining $500 of my contribution-in-kind has been spent on photographic costs and the time spent working on the report. Caroline has said she would be very happy to confirm this, and she can be reached on (07) 63 5090.

Trees break-down:   White Beach  -  Macaranga  -  White Bean  -  Beach Cherry  -  Narrow leaf Bottletree - Broad leaf Bottletree  -  Tulip Wood  -  Deep Yellow Wood  -  Hoop Pine  -  Leopard Ash  -  Sandpaper figs  -  Burdekin plum (local)  -  River Oak  -  Lillypilly  -  Narrow leaf Gardinia  -  Crows Ash  -  Red Cedar  -  Native Almond  -  Small leaf lillypilly Pittosporum Rhom  -  Acmena Smithii  -  Little Euvodia  -  Lime Berry


ON-GOING COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION

I would like to open up my land to the public, especially schools, for education purposes, but I am not in a position to do so at the moment.  Next year, I hope to be caretaking my neighbour’s land on Lot 3, and will have the use of a phone and a large generator, so I can run my computer again.   I and a building associate are currently researching earth building techniqes hopefully in conjunction with Nurunderi TAFE at Cherbourg, and hope to co-ordinate workshops, for cob, superadobe and ceramic building methods. (appendix)  

I made up the following ad at the end of 2003 to place on billboards or have printed in the local paper but I am not now in a position to be able to offer this as we do not have a telephone:

INVITATION to visit the Cloyna Nature Reserve

On completion of a revegetation program on the Reserve, funded by the Natural Heritage Envirofund, the Cloyna Nature Reserve, also known as Cloyna Springs, will henceforth be open to any interested parties – all are welcome to come and have a look at the project, view before & after photos, get information on the endemic native plants, permaculture related activities and funding opportunities for other environmental restoration schemes – and pick a bunch of gotu cola from around the waterhole!  By appointment only – ring 41 686 090 for details

 

CLOYNA NATURE RESERVE IN WORKPLKACE LEARNING PROGRAM

In 2004, a student at Murgon High School chose to perform his workplace experience week on the Reserve – he spent a large part of that time weeding the roadside reserve, which was badly infested with a variety of weeds, and patches on the Reserve itself – he also dug an experimental trench and planted a few trees.  I received a certificate from the school in appreciation.


2000 ENVIROFUNDING PROPOSAL

This is a summary of my initial Envirofund proposal, which I submitted with the assistance of Bruce Perkins.

Project summary:  To establish a biota reserve on my land, to enhance and enrich existing remnant native vegetation with diverse endemic species, including rare and endangered ones, which will create a wildlife corridor from the Althause roadside reserve, through my land, to the permanent spring lagoon, and to protect from fire.

Objectives:  The objective is to revegetate cleared areas among the existing vegetation, over 10 acres of my 40 acre block, with 4000 native trees  and shrubs, and to provide irrigation to establish them successfully, which would also provide a fire fighting capability to all points of the planting area, in order to provide a gene bank for future reforesting in the district, which will be protected from fire as far as humanly possible.  I hope to show by example all the many benefits of restoring the original ecology, and hopefully realise some of the incredible potential of our native plants for food & medicine and other traditional & contemporary uses.

As intact remnants of this “dry rainforest” or “vine forest” ecosystem are few and far between, especially in this area, I’m hoping you will appreciate the importance of establishing and protecting this reserve, which boasts a few old-growth giants – it is eminently deserving of an injection of biodiversity to boost its integrity.

Short term objectives:  To develop non-labour intensive strategies and techniques to efficiently establish plants with a high success rate and develop a low-maintenance program to keep plants growing vigorously.  Encourage natural regrowth, identify which plants are most suited to what area, experiment with seeding in appropriate places, imitating nature as far as possible.

Long-term objectives:   I have only just recently obtained these forms and have not yet had time to investigate further, but I have spoken with Chris Suffield, South Burnett Landcare Project Officer, and he has given his full support to my project and offered to liaise closely with me.  I would imagine this reserve would integrate very well with other efforts to save and restore endangered ecosystems.  The only other reaforestation project I’m aware of in this area is Bruce Perkins’ Botanical Gardens at Cherbourg – I shall investigate this at the first opportunity and seek advice.

I feel capable enough to undertake and co-ordinate this planting as I’ve had a lot of experience and have natural skills in reforesting, after having established five native plant gardens in North Queensland and successfully reforested around 5 acres on an 80 acre property at Ellinjaa falls on the Atherton Tablelands with over 2000 diverse rainforest trees, virtually on my own, planting, watering and maintaining through the severe droughts of the early 90’s.

I’ve made up a short list of over 300 useful native trees and bushes indigenous to the South Burnett region, and another 200 sub-tropical plants that could be trialled, and I have already began a rainforest plot around the one remaining rainforest giant by my camp, which is flourishing.


WILDLIFE SEEN ON THE CLOYNA NATURE RESERVE

GREY KANGAROO / PRETTY-FACED WALLABY / BLACK WALLABY (rare)  KOALA (apparently there is a large colony on lots 4,5 & 6 although unconfirmed because it is private property with absentee owners – sightings on the Reserve are reasonably frequent though)  GOANNA / MONITOR LIZARD (rare) / SMALL LIZARDS & SKINKS / SPECKLED FROG / GREEN FROG / TURTLES / ECHIDNAS / PIGMY GLIDER or Sugar Glider (Unfortunately, Lot 7’s barbed wire boundary fence cut through a much used glider corridor and consequently two gliders have been caught on the barbs, dying slowly and horribly, since it was erected – there have also been two episodes of fox predation on the Reserve, where numerous gliders, mostly babies, were eaten whole, leaving only the furry tail – I will ask Murgon Shire Council for help to trap foxes and feral cats, but I don’t think they have such a program) INSECT BAT / BROWN, BLACK & TREE SNAKES - POSSUMS

 
BIRDLIFE

AUSTRALIAN PELICAN (just passing through – not seen since 1997)  BLACK SWAN (There were 7 swans living and breeding on the waterhole prior to 1995) -  PIED CORMORANT  / BLACK DUCK  / AUSTRALIAN WOOD DUCK  / WHISTLING DUCK (used to be around 100 pairs resident on the waterhole, but have declined drastically since 1995)   /  LITTLE EGRET  / LARGE EGRET  /  PHEASANT COUCAL  /  WEDGE-TAILED EAGLE  /  FORK-TAILED EAGLE  /   AUSTRALIAN BLACK-SHOULDERED KITE  /  BROWN FALCON  /  BROWN QUAIL  /  BANDED RAIL /  SWAMP HEN  /  MASKED PLOVER  / YELLOW-BILLED SPOONBILL  /  WHITE IBIS  /   COMMON BRONZEWING PIGEON   /  CRESTED PIGEON  /  RAINBOW LORIKEET /  GALAH  / SULPHER-CRESTED COCKATOO   /  RED-WINGED PARROT  /  KING PARROT  / PAGE-HEADED ROSELLA   /  COCKATIEL  /  BARKING OWL  /  OWLET(?)  /  TAWNY FROGMOUTH   /  WELCOME SWALLOW  /  DOLLAR BIRD  /  KOOKABURRA  /  KINGFISHER  /  SCARLET ROBIN  /   WILLY WAGTAIL  / GREY FANTAIL  /  FAIRY WREN  /  RED & BLUE  /  BLUE-FACED HONEYEATER  /  BANANA BIRD  / NOISY  FRIARBIRD  /  NOISY MINER  / GOLDEN BACKED HONEYEATER   /  SPOTTED PARDALOTE  /  BLACK FACED CUCKOO SHRIKE  /  MAGPIE  / CROW  /  MUDLARK   /  BUTCHER BIRD  /  PIED  CURRAWONG  / STORMBIRD  /  CHANNEL-BILLED CUCKOO  /  ZEBRA FINCH  /  COMMON SPARROW   / FIELD SPARROW


A CASE FOR ‘MESSY’ FORESTS - Prof David Lindenmayer (Appendix 2)

It is common practice in these parts to regularly burn roadside reserves in winter in order to keep the “fuel load” down.   I have consistently challenged this mindset.   What all my neighbours and Murgon Shire Council have done when burning and clearing undergrowth and dead trees on their land and on the roadside reserves is an ecological disaster for many species.  Many species need a complex forest system because critical habitat for them includes rotting logs on the forest floor, large old living and dead trees with hollows, and dense thickets of old under-story trees.   In addition, by destroying saplings and smaller shrubs, what will happen when the big trees left die?  There is nothing to replace them.  Many old-growth trees in roadside reserves do not have viable seeds, probably because the forest is not complex enough to fertilise them.

 
ASPIRATIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS

The benefits accruing from this funding have been immeasurable – I now have a far more in-depth understanding of the ecology of the land, and my connection to and love of native flora & fauna grows continually.  Now when I walk over the Reserve, I can identify most of the plants, thanks almost entirely to Caroline Haskard – one visit from her produced an on-going passion to learn more and more about our unique and beautiful native flora.  I have acquired a great many more skills in reforesting along the way, and been inspired with ideas for ecological restoration. 

When I submitted my application to Envirofund, I made up a concise list of the endemic plants of the South Burnett, and another of a wider region (Appendix 3) and now I’m in the process of sourcing as many of these as possible, to introduce (or re-introduce) to the Reserve and increase biodiversity.  Unfortunately, native nurseries are few and far between in this district, and they usually charge a great deal for advanced plants especially. Groups such as Landcare may provide tube-stock at reduced costs.

Next year, when both my sons go to university, I will be living and working on the Reserve on my own, on an Austudy allowance of $395 a fortnight. (I will be studying Environmental Science externally from Central Queensland University).  Out of this I have to pay my bank loan for the land (10 years and $22,000 to go) and the remainder will be barely enough to buy weekly provisions, let alone pay for car registration & maintenance and rates etc.  I risk having my land auctioned by Murgon Shire Council to retrieve rates due, which is why having a Covenant placed on the remnant is a high priority of mine.  I have been building up a native plant nursery on the Reserve, and will continue with that to keep increasing biodiversity.

Native vegetation in the Cloyna district has been cleared and degraded to a very large extent, and it is imperative that what little patches of intact ecosystem that are left are protected and enhanced.



SAVING WARNUNG
 
I and Caroline Haskard would like to see a tiny, but still intact remnant at the Murgon locality of Warnung preserved for posterity.   I hold great fears for this remnant, as it appears the land was bought by Mr Losgow, who has cleared his own 400 acres in Cloyna, and recently tordonned a large area of old-growth gum tree koala habitat on that land. (photo)  I have written to Murgon Shire Council on many occasions regarding this remnant, but have not had one reply. (append one letter to MSC)

 

RAILWAY TRACKS OPEN TO TOURISM

The old railway track runs past this remnant - according to the member for Nanago, Dorothy Pratt, such tracks could be opened up to the public and tourists for walking and bicycle riding. (Appendix  - with my letter to editor)   The track goes on to Cloyna Village and could be the basis of a future tourism attraction, with villagers and farmhouses along the track, offering B&B accommodation.  Warnung could then be an Environmental Park, where eco-tourists and locals could enjoy a short walk.

 

CLOYNA NATURE RESERVE WEBSITE

There are so many issues involved with remnant native vegetation, I intend to set up a website for the Reserve, raising awareness about issues such as:-

….     Land clearing, especially of so-called “re-growth” which may be 50 year old forest, and along watercourses

….    The placement of septic tanks and viable, eco-friendly alternatives

….    Roadside Reserves as wildlife corridors and their management

….    Land for Wildlife Covenant

….    Shooting protected native wildlife

….    Ready access to satellite images

….    Intensively farmed pigs and chickens

….    Grazing animals and cropping in unsuitable country

 

NATURE RESERVE SUBMISSION

On the strength of my revegetation program, a friend has asked me to collaborate with him with a submission to develop a Nature Reserve on Boomerang Lagoon, a bow-shaped lake in the ‘up-market’ Kooralbyn Valley residential estate, near Brisbane.   Beaudesert Shire are offering Environmental grants of up to $7,000 per project for “bushcare on publicly owned land, weed control and revegetation, riparian restoration, environmental surveys and research … restoration strategies or conservation of environmentally important areas.”  Applications close on September 1 this year, but my friend thinks a well-prepared submission for next year will receive favourable consideration.  I have agreed to help construct one, and will be contacting HEBRECS for a list of native species specific to that area.

 

SPECIES LIST

*  introduced species   sp.  =  unidentifiable species   ssp.  =  subspecies   spp.  =  species (multiple)  var.  =  variety

*Chloris gayana    -   Callides Rhodes Grass

*Digitaria didactyla    -    Queensland Blue Couch

*Opuntia stricta    -   Prickly Pear

Acacia glaucocarpa    -   Fern-leaf Wattle

Acacia implexa   -   Lightwood

Acacia leiocalyx    -   Black Wattle

Acacia maidenii   -   Maiden’s Wattle

Alectryon diversifolius    -   Scrub Boonaree

Alloteropsis semialata    -   Cockatoo Grass

Alphitonia excelsa   -   Soap Tree or Red  Ash  (used by indigenous people to poison fish in   waterholes)

Alstonia constricta   -   Bitter Bark

Aristida gracilipes   -   Graceful Wire Grass

Aristida leptopoda   -   A Wire Grass

Aristida  spp.  -  Wire Grass

Aristida vegans  -  Wire Grass

Austrostipa verticillata   -   Bamboo Grass

Boerhovia diffusa   - Tar Plant

Bothrichloa decipiens   -   Pitted Blue Grass

Bothriochloa bladhii   -   Forest Blue Grass

Brachychiton populnes ssp. Populneus    - Kurrajong

Brachychiton rupestre    -   Bottle Tree

Brachychiton australe    -  broad-leaved Bottletree

Brunonia australis   -    Blue Trumpet Flower

Calotis dentax   -   White Burr Daisy

Calotis lappulacea   -   Yellow Burr Daisy

Calotis buxifolium   -   Stiff Canthium

Canthium odoratum   -   Sweet Canthium

Capillipedium parviflorum   -   Scented Top

Capparis arborea   -   Tree Caper or Native Pomegranite (food tree for Caper White Butterfly)

Capparis mitchellii   -   Bumble Tree (loved by white cockatoos & black ants)

Capparis sarmentosa   -   Scrambling Caper

Carissa ovata   -   Currant Bush (edible berries, sweet perfumed flowers)

Cassinia laevis   -   Native Rosemary or Cough Bush

Cheilanthes seiberi   -   Mulga Fern

Chielanthes distans   -   Resurrection Fern

Chloris ventricosa   -   Tall Chloris

Chrysocephalum apeculatum   -   Yellow Buttons

Convolvulus erubescens   -   Convulvus

Corymbia intermedia   -   Pink Bloodwood

Corymbia tessellaris   -   Moreton Bay Ash

Crinum flaccidum   -   River Lily

Crotolaria linifolia   -   Rattlepod

Cymbidium canaliculatum    -  Channel-leaved Orchid, Black Orchid, Wild Arrowroot

Cymbopogon refractus   -   Barbed-wire Grass

Cyperus gracilis   -   Fairy Sedge

Cyperus  sp.    -      A Sedge

Dianella caerulea    -   Blue Flax Lily

Dicanthium sericeum   -   Queensland Blue Grass

Einadia nutans    -   Climbing Saltbush

Enneapogon  sp.  -  Bottlewash Grass

Eragrostis lacunaria    -   Purple Love Grass

Eremophila debilis    -   Winter Apple

Eremophilia miychelii    -   False Sandlewood

Eucalyptus crebra    -   Narrow-leaved Red Ironbark

Eucalyptus moluccana   -  Grey Box

Eucalyptus tereticornis   - Qld. Blue Gum or Forest Red Gum

Eugenia australis   -   Scrub Cherry

Eustrephus latifolius   -   Wombat Berry or Orange Vine

Evolvulus alsinoides   -   Evolvulus

Exocarpus cupressiformis    -   Narrow-leaved Native Cherry

Fimbristylis sp.    -    A Sedge

Flindersia australis   -   Crow’s Ash (200 plus year old specimen on land)

Flindersia collina   -   Leopard Ash

Geijera parviflora   -   Scrub Wilga

Glossocardia bidens   -   Native Cobbler’s Pegs (non-native weed?)

Glycine clandestinum   -   Twining Glycine

Heteropogon contortus   -   Black Spear Grass

Hybanthes enneasperma   -   Spade Flower

Imperata cylindrica   -   Blady Grass

Indigofera australis   -   Native Indigo

Jacksonia scoparia   -   Dogwood

Jasminum didymum ssp.racemosum   -   Stiff Jasmine

Juncus usitatus   -   Common Rush

Laxmannia gracilis   -   Slender Wire Lily

Leptochloa digitata   -   Umbrella Canegrass

Lomandra longifolia   -   Matt Rush

Lomandra multiflora   -   Many-flowered Matt Rush

Ludwigia pepiodes spp.  Montividensis   -   Water Buttercup

Maireana  microphylla   -  Small-leaved Cotton Bush

Melaleuca bracteata   -   Black Tea Tree

Murdannia graminea   -   Lawn Lily

Neptunia gracilis   -   Sensitive Plant

Notelaea microcarpa var. macrocarpa   -   Narrow-leaved Mock Olive

Ymphoides indica   -   Water Snowflake

Ottelia ovalifolia   -   Water Hawthorn

Pandorea pandorana   -   Wonga Vine

Panicum lachnophyllum   -   Pygmy Panic

Panicum queenslandicum   -  Yabilla Grass

Parsonsia straminea   -   Monkey Rope

Petalostigma pubescens   -  Quinine Tree

Phyllanthus sp.   -   Phyllanthus

Pittosporum viscidum   -   Large-fruited Thornbush

Pseuderanthemum variable   -   Pastel Flower

Rostelluaria procumbens   -   Rostelluaria

Sida cordifolia   -   Flannel Weed

Sida rhombifolia   -   Common Sida

Sida subspicata   -   Spiked Sida

Solanum stelligerum  -  Devil’s Needles

Velleia paradoxa   -   Spurred Velleia  

Vittadinia dissecta   -   A Daisy

Wahlenbergia gracilis   -   Australian Bluebell

Zornia dyctiocarpa var. dyctiocarpa   -  Zornia

One plant Caroline missed was gotu cola (botanical name) which grows in thick beds all around the waterhole – this ‘miracle’ plant deserves a page to itself (attached)

 

C L O Y N A    N A T U R E     R E S E R V E

GALLERY of IMAGES

1.Our first camp on the land, under the giant Crows Ash – 1993   Note how  dry and sparse vegetation is after many years of drought through the 80’s and early 90’s. My sons were aged 5 and 7 – we moved onto the land permanently in 1995

2.View of waterhole and the dense bush on Lot 9 – 1995

3.We drank from the waterhole from 1995 until 1999 with only beneficial health effects and we regularly swam – we stopped drinking the water after the first pollution event in 1999 post flooding, and no longer swam in it.

4.These photos were taken from the same spot, the first in 1993 and the second in 2001, showing very clearly the amount of natural forest regeneration that has taken place on the Reserve, ex cattle country.

5.This picture of a Bush Garden is my aim for the Reserve, to reduce to zero the areas of high fire risk introduced grass and replace with native grasses, vines, shrubs and trees – it is happening naturally, slowly on the hill - I try to give Nature a helping hand to boost biodiversity. This area by the waterhole was selected by Moollookatt as the ideal place to build his authentic traditional gunyas – he is one of the few indigenous elders left with this bush knowledge – note thick forest in background on Lot 9.These photos show how clear and pure the water was, and how dense the forest on Lot 9.Another view of the now cleared forest on Lot 9.

6.Flindersia australis in full bloom – every few years, this species will have a mass flowering and loose all its leaves – usually, it retains about half.

7.THE END OF A DREAM – Lot 9’s cleared land is visible from nearly every point on the Reserve, due to the narrowness of the Lots (200m) – it has compromised the integrity of the Nature Reserve.

8.Three shots of the clearing from Lot 8/9 boundary fence.

9.The ad I put up to find some casual workers.

10.The waterpipe trench where root suckers emerged over 50 m from the main tree, which gave me the idea for concentric ring trenching as a forest restoration tool.

11.This tree is apparently very rare, according to Caroline Haskard (sorry, can’t remember botanical name) – showing proximity of Lot 9 clearing – no doubt there these rare trees were also represented in the forest he cleared

12.This sugar glider was caught on a fence adjacent to the Nature Reserve – I took it to the wildlife carer in Murgon, but her injuries were so severe, she could not be rehabilitated and will spend the rest of her life at the wildlife centre (if she lives) – this other one was not so ‘lucky’ – it died a slow, horrible death by starvation caught up on the barbs.

13.I thought this “evil” plant with extremely sharp spikes was a weed, but after making enquiries at Murgon DNR, it appears it is a native. When I have the time, I intend to catalogue all the native plants on my land this way, i.e. scanned, pressed and identified.

14.This stretch of intact roadside forest on Holdings Road is linked to the Nature Reserve – it has now been nearly entirely obliterated by Murgon Shire Council’s totally unnecessary road widening.

15.These photos show the thickness of the roadside reserve adjacent to Lot 9, prior to the owner clearing the undergrowth and burning.

16.Myself and my eldest son working on the Reserve.

17.Bags of cobblers pegs, mainly seeds, taken from the roadside adjacent to Reserve, and from the driveway – secured tightly and dumped in bins at Cloyna.

18.Our current residence – the site map is of trees planted behind the van.

19.The certificate Murgon High School gave me for participating in the workplace learning program – I hope to do more of this in the future.

20.Moolookatt’s camp site venture is no longer feasible with the clearing so close.

21.The aerial photo on the back of the 2000 topographical map, shows the forest pre clearing, and sites of dams etc.

22.2000 topographical map – note Lot 7’s clearing also prior to 2000 – also note flood zone includes Lot 9 residence.

23.Before and after Murgon Shire Council unnecessary and unwanted road widening, felling 104 old-growth & ‘habitat’ trees along the proposed Althause Heritage Road.

24.1970’s topographical map shows the extent of over-clearing in the Cloyna & Byee district – Nature Reserve is red triangle – big yellow cross shows thick, intact remnant, last in district, which was cleared for goats in 1998 – very sparsely treed now.

25.Plans for a cob dwelling, lodged with Murgon Shire Council – earth building has many applications, especially in eco-tourism

26.My cob kennel. Built as a demonstration for MSC.

27.A message from Wakka Wakka elder Moollookatt, aka Thomas Arthur Duncan, co-caretaker of the waterhole and Knowledge Tree
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment